Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Junior Camp

I am missing Junior Camp for the first time in eleven years!!!!

Eleven years ago, I attended two junior camps for two different sections, three weeks apart, and fell in love with working with young kids! I was the Music Director for section 2 UPCI Junior Camp for 10 years. I have sooooo many wonderful memories of those years and have made some life long friends!!

Memories of playing 007 with a group of people late in the night: fingers in the "gun" position, hiding behind trees, rolling down hills, crawling across the sports field in a skirt, just to sneek up on the "enemy" and shoot them with our finger guns. And telling them, "my name is Bond, Jane Bond". Memories of trash cans full of water being dumped on my friends heads at one in the morning; falling on the ground in front of a group of counselors late one night, and then having them show others the "crime scene" complete with a HUGE outline of where I fell; wrapping a fellow counselor's car with cellophane and caution tape; being the look out while other culprits zip tied the head counselor's shoes and other personal things to her bed, luggage, and such. Memories of long talks with junior staff about making the right choices in life; counseling young ladies after sensitive subjects were discussed in devotions; playing for 1-2 hours during altar call, and watching young people reach out for more from our Heavenly Father. Memories of tiny little boys and girls, 7 or 8 years old, following me around the camp, asking "when will the next choir practice be?", and "do I get to cut in front of the older kids for breakfast so I can be at choir on time?"

This year, no memories are being formed for me but they are for my kids. My dear friend, Holly, sent me pictures of my kids at camp this week. They are there now and I am at home! WAAAHHH!!! This year, the camp is in Jamul, CA. at the Indian Hills Campground. It looks like a really fun place and I hope to be able to go next year.

Here are two pictures of my younger kiddos. I love both pictures but especially the one of Justin in the altar!!!


Justin praying with a counselor.
What a moment! Arms raised in praise and surrender to God!
This one made me cry!


Jessica is the one in glasses.
She is the prettiest blue eyed girl I know!
And mischievous, as indicated by the bunny ear fingers. LOL
This one made me chuckle!

Thanks Holly!! I am blessed by your friendship and these pictures of my babies!

8 comments:

Erica Rose said...

How hard that must be for you! I would miss that so much. And I know it will be just as hard for me to leave all this behind too!

Just a thought said...

AHhhh youth camp at Frazier Park. The saw dust, the days when only the girls could shower, late night games yet those times around that old bench alter washing the dust away with tears. Then to carry a still praying fellow camper back to their tent and just lay them, still in the spirit on their cot.

Then the years at Bethel in the Hills as a, will you name it I did it. Guard, counselor, snack bar, couch and on and on.
Was all this worth the time let alone the dollars. Yes, a thousand times yes. Would you do it again? All that is needed is a phone call and my wife and I would be on the road.

You can not put a value on the time and effort invested into youth.

GOD bless all youth camps!!
Mervi

Jana McVay said...

Mervi,

Amen and Amen! I whole-heartedly agree that investing in youth is NEVER effort or money wasted.

Missing camp this year only re-affirmed my desire to continue to work at these camps, in whatever capacity, and re-newed my commitment to attending next year!

Thanks for dropping by!
Jana

Bekki said...

Jana, we have got to go next year. All the memories make me sad and happy at the same time ;) Sad because it's never going to be the same, but happy because it happened! I love Jr. Camp!!! lol You know that though...evidenced by your lovely stories that I helped participate in...My favorite was Nathan White pulling the plug on the bounce house when ya'll got in...LOL No one ever suspected him!

Jana McVay said...

OH Ho....so it was little Nathan who did the dirty deed???!!! Hmmmm, I will have to convince him to attend camp again and get him back! LOL Just kidding...maybe...

Definitely we have to go next year! Yes, it will never be the same but we can create new memories with new camp staff and expand the number of friends we have while expanding the world of many young people who need more of God!

Bekki said...

Yeah it WAS Nathan. Retribution still is in store. Brother Garrett never got it either for dumping that water over my head...

Jana McVay said...

I hear tell that Bro. Garrett is supposed to go next year! SO...the perfect opportunity may present itself (5 years later) to re-pay that lovely prank!

LOL

Lozano Family said...

Sis Jana - I am so looking forward to the day that my children are big enough to go to camp! It's not that far for Aubrie, and I plan on getting involved agian if possible. Going to camp was awesome! And so was choir. I really don't think that things would have been the same without it - or the truly talented and dedicated Music Director we had. Much love to you - you are a part of the many great memories, and life changing experiences that I have from camp.